Do you want to know the secret recipe for weight loss? Me too! Unfortunately, it seems there’s none. There are, however, a few smart things you can do to set yourself up for success. One of them is making sure you feel satiated and nourished after each meal. The recipe at the end of this article is a great example of such a meal.
Losing weight is hardest when you feel hungry. That’s when the temptation to turn to junk food and overeat your favourite dessert is the strongest. The number one thing you should worry about is never getting too hungry. How to do that?
Get enough protein and fibre
Studies show that certain properties of food help us feel satiated more than others. Namely protein, fibre, and water content of foods are the most effective at keeping hunger away. Translated into real foods, you should make sure that all your main dishes of the day contain some source of protein like eggs, fish, meat, legumes, nuts, or seeds; and some vegetables or fruits because those are full of water and fibre.
Recipe: Fresh trout with herbs
This recipe is a great example of a nutritious and filling meal that also tastes good. The trout will provide plenty of protein, fresh vegetables carry fibre and water, and Jerusalem artichokes are a source of slow carbs that won’t spike your blood sugar. Try it for lunch or dinner and watch the hunger stay away for hours.
1 fresh trout
2 Jerusalem artichokes (topinambur)
fresh vegetables (bell pepper, tomatoes, onion, romaine lettuce)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp coarse salt
1 tsp Provencal herbs
fresh herbs (basil, thyme)
2 lemon slices
1. Clean the trout and fill its insides with salt, Provencal herbs, and fresh herbs.
2. Slice Jerusalem artichokes and place to a steamer with the prepped trout.
3. Add salt and 1 tbsp olive oil and steam for 15 – 20 minutes.
4. Choose a mix of fresh vegetables you like for a small salad. Cut them up into bite-sized pieces, add 1 tbsp olive oil and salt and mix in a bowl.
5. When steaming is done, serve the trout with lemon slices, salad, and Jerusalem artichokes on the side.