How is Glycemic Index different from load?
Glycemic Index (GI) measures how fast you absorb carbohydrates from a given food, Glycemic Load (GL) adds information about the amount of carbs. To better understand it, consider the cooked carrot again. Although it has a relatively high GI, eating a medium carrot will result in a relatively small glycemic response. Why? Because your body’s glycemic response is dependent on both the type and the amount of carbohydrates consumed, and the carrot only contains very few carbs.
How should you use Glycemic Load?
Knowing about GL gives you a second way to control your glycemic response. You can not only consume low-GI foods (like boiled potatoes instead of fried ones), but also restrict the intake of carbohydrates overall (choose carrots over rice for example).
Recipe: Coconut Crusted Baked Avocado Fries
Although this recipe uses high temperatures that increase the GI of a meal a lot, it won’t trigger a big glycemic response. That’s because these fries aren’t full of carbohydrates, they have a low GL. Avocados and coconut contain very little carbs compared to the usual, potatoes. So, you could almost call these healthy fries. Almost.
• 2 ripe but firm avocados
• 1 large egg, beaten
• 1 ½ cups unsweetened shredded coconut
• 2 teaspoons garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon onion powder and sweet paprika each
• ½ teaspoon fine grain sea salt and ground black pepper each
• ⅓ cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch
• 1 tablespoon water
1. Preheat oven to 210°C (425°F) and place a rack in the middle. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
2. Slice avocados in half and carefully remove the pit. Cut each half into 5 slices, set aside.
3. Combine arrowroot powder and half of the seasonings in a bowl.
4. In another bowl combine egg and water.
5. In a third bowl combine shredded coconut and the remaining half of the seasonings.
6. Working quickly, dip the avocado slices in the arrowroot mixtures, then in the egg mixture, and then in the coconut mixture to coat well.
7. Place coated avocado fries on the lined baking sheet.
8. Bake in the hot oven for 10 to 12 minutes, then flip and bake on the other side for 2 to 4 minutes.