The Slovenian superstar is ahead of the competition but it looks like it won’t be easy for him.
The battle for the ŠKODA Green Jersey at La Vuelta is different from the one at the Tour de France. The points are awarded according to the placement at the finish line of every single stage. There are intermediate sprints as well but the number of points awarded there (4 points for the fastest rider) does not make much difference in comparison to the stage wins (25 points for the fastest rider). And because the first stages offered proper GC fun, the GC hopefuls are in the lead of the points classification as well.
It’s Primož Roglič who is the number one candidate for the ŠKODA Green Jersey. He is in the lead, won himself the first stage even, but it looks like there is serious competition in the form of his rivals. Dan Martin, the 34-year-old Irishman racing for Israel Start-Up Nation, started yesterday’s stage in Green, as Roglič was wearing Red. And it looks like it inspired him. He won ahead of Roglič and Carapaz in a summit finish, showing he’s back in his top form. Carapaz is not far behind as well. With 50 points, he could easily be in the lead next week. And last but not least, Enric Mas sits in fourth. You should never count out a Spaniard at La Vuelta. He will finish high, that is for sure.
Who do you think will win himself the ŠKODA Green Jersey? Let us know!
Points classification after stage 3
1. Primož Roglič (Jumbo-Visma) – 65 points
2. Dan Martin (Israel Start-Up Nation) – 57 pts
3. Richard Carapaz (Ineos Grenadiers) – 50 pts
4. Enric Mas (Movistar Team) – 30 pts
5. Marc Soler (Movistar Team) – 26 pts
6. Hugh John Carthy (EF Pro Cycling) – 25 pts
7. Esteban Cháves (Mitchelton-Scott) – 23 pts
8. Sepp Kuss (Jumbo-Visma) – 22 pts
9. Felix Großschartner (Bora-Hansgrohe) – 21 pts
10. Alejandro Valverde (Movistar Team) – 17 pts