Jakobsen completes the comeback
Just 13 months ago, Fabio Jakobsen suffered a devastating crash in the Tour de Pologne that left him in an induced coma. Jakobsen later said that he was “glad to be alive.” He did not return to racing until April 11 of this year at the Presidential Tour of Turkey. And now he won the points competition at La Vuelta. The first sprinter to do so in many years. After Mark Cavendish and his win in the Tour’s points competition, the Deceuninck–Quick-Step team has produced another stunning victory.
“This is amazing,” Jakobsen said after stage 20. “I am so happy I could cross the line together with the guys because without them, I wouldn’t have won the sprints here or the green jersey. They’ve always been by my side, I love my teammates and I love being part of Deceuninck-Quick-Step, just saying it makes me very proud.”
The Škoda Green Jersey is certainly in the right hands. Congratulations to Fabio and the whole team!
Final Points classification
- Fabio Jakobsen (Deceuninck-QuickStep) 250
- Primoz Roglic (Jumbo-Visma) 199
- Magnus Cort (EF Education-Nippo) 161
- Matteo Trentin (UAE Team Emirates) 145
- Enric Mas Nicolau (Movistar Team) 120
- Alberto Dainese (Team DSM) 120
- Michael Matthews (Team BikeExchange) 114
- Andrea Bagioli (Deceuninck-QuickStep) 101
- Egan Bernal Gomez (Ineos Grenadiers) 96
- Arnaud Demare (Groupama-FDJ) 91