Another Monday is here, and so is our news from the world of cycling. So, what did you miss?
Sepp Kuss wins stage 15
The Tour has not gone according to plans for Jumbo-Visma. After they lost Primož Roglič, they needed to change their tactics and went for stages instead. That worked out very well for Jumbo-Visma, and Sepp Kuss, the 26-year-old American, took another win for the team yesterday. He made it into the 32-rider breakaway and then attacked on the final climb of the day, adding to his stage victories at La Vuelta and Critérium du Dauphiné. Will he chase the GC one day? It certainly looks like he could.
Tadej Pogačar faced many attacks during the stage. However, he finished unshaken. Even though he found himself surrounded by almost entire Ineos Grenadiers squad. Will he make it in yellow to Paris?
“Today they tried to attack, but I felt good today, unfortunately for them,” Pogačar said after the race. “Today was a really good day to crack me, but I responded well to the heat and I enjoyed the bike today.
“Today was one of the hardest days. And yesterday was super hard and the Mont Ventoux stage was super hard. Those were the scariest stages coming into the Tour. I was not confident in the heat before the Tour but after this week being super hot every day, I feel more comfortable.”
Will it be easy going for Pogačar all the way to Paris? What do you think?
”I expected to have to respond to an attack as the Ineos-Grenadiers started to force the pace early, but fortunately I had the legs to respond.”
— @UAE-TeamEmirates (@TeamEmiratesUAE) July 11, 2021
Stage 15 results
- Sepp Kuss (Jumbo-Visma) – 5:12:06
- Alejandro Valverde (Movistar) + 23 s
- Wout Poels (Bahrain-Victorious) + 1:15
- Ion Izagirre (Astana-Premier Tech)
- Ruben Guerreiro (EF Education-Nippo)
- Nairo Quintana (Arkéa-Samsic)
- David Gaudu (Groupama-FDJ)
- Dan Martin (Israel Start-Up Nation) + 1:22
- Franck Bonnamour (B&B Hotels p/b KTM)
- Aurélien Paret-Peintre (Ag2r-Citroën)
General classification after stage 15
- Tadej Pogačar (UAE Team Emirates) – 62:07:18
- Rigberto Urán (EF Education-Nippo) + 5:18
- Jonas Vingegaard (Jumbo-Visma) + 5:32
- Richard Carapaz (Ineos Grenadiers) + 5:33
- Ben O’Connor (Ag2r-Citroën) + 5:58
- Wilco Kelderman (Bora-Hansgrohe) + 6:16
- Alexey Lutsenko (Astana-Premier Tech) + 7:01
- Enric. Mas (Movistar) + 7:11
- Guillaume Martin (Cofidis) + 7:58
- Pello Bilbao (Bahrain-Victorious) + 10:59
ŠKODA Green Jersey standings after stage 15
- Mark Cavendish (Deceuninck-Quick-Step) 279pts
- Michael Matthews (Team BikeExchange) 207pts
- Jasper Philipsen (Alpecin-Fenix) 174pts
Join our contest!
The Green definitely suits you, Mark!
— Tour de France™ (@LeTour) July 9, 2021
Still a top ride
Thoughts of a neo-pro at the TDF pt.4 "Less attacking more holding the wheel of Politt"
— Harry Sweeny (@harry_sweeny) July 8, 2021