Another Monday is here and our news from the world of cycling with it. So, what did you miss?
The Belgian did it
This weekend, cycling fans finally got to enjoy some proper racing fun. The 2020 Tour de Flanders was cancelled due to coronavirus pandemic. However, the organisers decided to host a virtual version of the race. The event was attended by 13 pros, including the likes of Wout van Aert and Thomas De Gendt. The final 32km of the Tour de Flanders route were raced on the Bkool indoor training platform. The shortened course included the iconic climbs of Oude Kwaremont and Paterberg.
Greg Van Avermaet proved to be the strongest as he went clear with 12km to go. He was too fast for his opponents who made numerous attempts to close the gap. In the end, he crossed the virtual finish line 20 seconds ahead of Oliver Naesen. Nicholas Roche secured the last place on the podium.
Virtual Tour of Flanders 2020 – Results
1. Greg Van Avermaet (CCC) – 43:17
2. Oliver Naesen (Ag2r La Mondiale) + 20s
3. Nicolas Roche (Sunweb), at 21s
4. Thomas De Gendt (Lotto-Soudal) + 50s
5. Jasper Stuyven (Trek-Segafredo) + 1:33
6. Remco Evenepoel (Deceuninck – Quick-Step) + 1:42
7. Tim Wellens (Lotto-Soudal) + 2:08
8. Wout van Aert (Jumbo-Visma) + 2:21
9. Mike Teunissen (Jumbo-Visma) + 2:38
10. Zdeněk Štybar (Deceuninck – Quick-Step) + 3:29
11. Yves Lampaert (Deceuninck – Quick-Step) + 3:29
12. Alberto Bettiol (EF Pro Cycling) + 3:39
DNF – Michael Matthews (Sunweb)
Cameron Jeffers has completed the Everest challenge
Ever wonder if it’s all for you?
— Thomas De Gendt (@DeGendtThomas) March 31, 2020