The Belgian does it
Remco Evenepoel (Quick-Step–Alpha Vinyl) finished in the lead group on stage five of Volta ao Algarve while comfortably retaining enough seconds in the GC to take the overall victory. Brandon McNulty (UAE Team Emirates) who finished in the lead group as well, finished second overall, 1:17 down on Evenepoel.
— Remco Evenepoel (@EvenepoelRemco) February 20, 2022
Sergio Higuita (Bora-Hansgrohe) narrowly beat his Colombian compatriot Dani Martínez (Ineos Grenadiers) for the stage win on the summit finish.
— Volta ao Algarve (@VoltAlgarve) February 20, 2022
Stage five results (Lagoa to Malhão – 173km)
1. Sergio Higuita (Bora-Hansgrohe) – 4:14:53
2. Dani Martínez (Ineos Grenadiers)
3. Brandon McNulty (UAE Team Emirates)
4. David Gaudu (Groupama-FDJ)
5. Remco Evenepoel (Quick-Step Alpha Vinyl)
6. Tobias Foss (Jumbo-Visma) + 22 s
7. Jay Vine (Alpecin-Fenix) + 23 s
8. Frederico Figueiredo (Glassdrive Q8 Anicolor) + 40 s
9. Sven Erik Bystrøm (Intermarché-Wanty-Gobert Matériaux) + 42 s
10. Ethan Hayter (Ineos Grenadiers) + 43 s
Final general classification
1. Remco Evenepoel (Quick-Step Alpha Vinyl) – 19:35:03
2. Brandon McNulty (UAE Team Emirates) + 1:17
3. Dani Martínez (Ineos Grenadiers) + 1:21
4. Ethan Hayter (Ineos Grenadiers) + 1:39
5. David Gaudu (Groupama-FDJ) + 2:00
We’ll be there! How about you?
— Fausto Masnada (@masnada_fausto) February 18, 2022
Our Valentines 😍 pic.twitter.com/YOUVNUPfsR
— INEOS Grenadiers (@INEOSGrenadiers) February 14, 2022
Which one is your favourite?
New boyband in town
Los chicos de Antioquía 🇨🇴✨ pic.twitter.com/lHr7iBLCLB
— EF Pro Cycling (@EFprocycling) February 15, 2022