Do you remember European Bike Stealing Championships 2015? The glorious moment when the thieves fell for our beautiful Specialized bait bike and we got their faces taped from all angles in 4K resolution? That was fun and satisfactory for all involved – save the thief. But in real life, it’s exactly the opposite way. You’re lucky to get some shabby footage from surveillance cameras or, as in majority of cases, you get no evidence at all. You’re left with empty spot and sometimes not even the sawed-through lock where your bike used to be.
Nothing makes your heart sink quite like the realisation your bike isn’t attached to the railing you locked it to. Many of us are turning to gadgets that help track our bikes – but which ones are worth shelling out for?
Let’s face it, bike theft is an epidemic. Every single day, hundreds of bikes go missing, leaving their rightful owners distraught, unnerved, and unable to get around. After our infamous experiment from 2 years ago called European Bike Stealing Championships it’s time to get to the bottom of things and find out how skilled these thieves really need to be, while taking a closer look at how the average bystander reacts when witnessing a heist first-hand.
Bike theft being a recurring topic, you could say there’s a hidden war going on between bike owners and bike thieves. A war of wit and creativity, that is. Together with one of the leading experts we’ve prepared some tips on how to always be a step ahead of the thief, which is exactly enough to keep you from finding just a mangled lock where your bike used to be. Read on for preventive measures, because putting electrified spikes into your saddle is still illegal.
In the wake of Lock Challenge Barcelona 2017, we took a security expert aside and asked which types of their locks he would trust with resisting every thieving attempt. Below you’ll find three most reliable, sturdy, and popular models by ABUS liable to deter any criminal just by the look of them. Because investing in proper lock and other security measures is certainly more effective and comfortable than walking around the neighbourhood stapling “Stolen Bicycle” posters.
Most of the thieves, 95 % of them, are using entry-level tools. They are opportunist thieves, they are cash-convertors. All those misfits want to do is to swap the bike for some fast money. The remaining 5 % is what you should be really afraid of.
So what do you do if you have a 10-minute film starring your bike and the thief, and a police force without the means to view it? Posting the video of the theft on social media has become commonplace. But is it morally correct and, more importantly, is it legal?